2015-09-13: Two more Hymenoptera species identified from the last weekend in August: Bombus fervidus, golden northern bumblebee, and Gnamptopelta osidianator, an Ichneumon wasp. And a new Diptera species identified today: Hermetia illucens. That brings the number of species to 22.
2015-07-12: Added two I'd forgotten about: Orius insidiosus, and Anthrenus verbasci. That brings the number of species to 19.
These are the insect species I've discovered or identified in my garden for the first time this year.
Hymenoptera - Bees
- Bombus fervidus, golden northern bumblebee, yellow bumblebee, 2015-08-30
- Ceratina calcarata, spurred ceratina, small carpenter bee
- Cerceris, two different species, not identified down to species.
- Nomada, cuckoo bee
- Osmia pumila, mason bee
- Stelis louisae, Megachilid bee, cleptoparasite of Megachile campanuelae and perhaps related bees
Hymenoptera - Wasps
- Gasteruption, carrot wasp
- Gnamptopelta obsdianator, Ichneumon wasp, spider wasp mimic, a parasitoid on Sphingid moth caterpillars, especially those feeding on Vitis, grape, hosts. 2015-08-31
- Omalus, cuckoo wasp
- Anthrenus verbasci, varied carpet beetle
- Coccinella septempunctata, seven-spotted lady-beetle (introduced)
- Exomala orientalis, Oriental beetle (introduced)
- Pyrrhalta viburni, Viburnum leaf beetle (invasive)
- Allograpta obliqua, oblique syrphid fly
- Hermetia illucens, black solder fly, a wasp mimic
- Merodon equstris, Narcissus bulb fly (introduced)
Hemiptera, True Bugs
- Coelidia olitoria, leafhopper
- Hormaphis hamamelidis, witchhazel cone gall aphid
- Jalysus, stilt bug
- Lygaeus kalmii, small milkweed bug. I have no observation records of this species in my garden before this year. This year, there are scores of them.
- Orius insidiosus, insidious flower bug