Brooklyn Botanic Garden: Peak Everything

Today, after this morning's rains ended, Blog Widow and I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. It was my scheduled date to pickup my signature plant order: a pair of Paw-paws, and another native, unfamiliar to me: Meehania cordata. I shall be glad to make its acquaintance.

The Garden was peaking today. Like the King in Amadeus, I wanted to declare, simply: "Too many colors." I didn't get to see everything I wanted today. The Rock Garden was also peaking, but I only got to walk past that on my way to the plant pickup area. But I got enough to satisfy my jones for the day.

I've learned to carry deep photographic backup when I'm out on an excursion: two cameras, and two batteries for each. Today it paid off. The battery on my primary camera died just as I was taking the final shot for the panorama of the Cherry Esplanade.

Panorama, Cherry Esplanade, Brooklyn Botanic Garden

That's when I discovered I was missing the backup battery. (It's still missing.) My secondary, point-and-shoot, camera is small enough that I have it with me all the time, tucked into my shoulder bag or, like today, in my jacket. Then the battery died on the P&S, and I resorted to its backup battery, which held up for the rest of the afternoon.


Related Content

Flickr photo set


Mary said...

Great photos, Chris. What an abundance and varieties of beautiful flowers. Wish I had gone too. Love, Mom

Chris said...

I love the idea of having a "signature plant." I think I have one too, just never thought to use that wording before.

Xris (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Mom: Well, when are you guys coming up to visit?! Glad you enjoyed the photos. There's always plenty to see, whenever you come up.

Chris: Hehehe ... the "Signature" refers to the BBG membership level. Members who contribute at that level or above get a free plant each year.

But I agree with you: I think we should each have a "signature plant." Will have to think what mine is. I'm rather fond of Aquilegia canadensis, Eastern Red Columbine, which is blooming right now.