My photo of Patrick Dougherty's "Natural History" blanketed in January's snow opens Brooklyn Botanic Garden's 2012 calendar.
Earlier this year, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden solicited submissions for a visitor-sourced calendar:
Among the Garden’s most passionate visitors are photographers, who capture the beauty each season brings to the Garden’s 52 acres. Their images, taken from unique vantage points, offer perspectives that are at once stunning and unexpected. The 2012 calendar celebrates BBG through their eyes, with a selection of the best visitor-contributed photos from an online competition hosted last year.Today, the winners met for a reception and guided tour of the Garden.
After coffee and munchies, following a brief welcome and introduction from BBG's Claire Hansen, we set out on our own guided tour of the "Your Take" trail, a temporary exhibit on the grounds of the Garden, highlighting each of the photos in the calendar, and its photographer, at the location the photo was taken. Here I am posing with my sign.
Photo: John Magisano
The signs will be up through January. Here's the complete list of all photos in the calendar.
- January: Chris Kreussling, Patrick Dougherty's "Natural History"
- February: David Finkelstein, Desert House
- March: Margaret Halligan, Beech Grove
- April: Maria Buck, Cherry Esplanade from the Cranford Overlook
- May: Marie Viljoen, Bluebell Wood
- June: Maxim Pierre, Cranford Rose Garden
- July: Vivek Bharathan, Lily Pool Terrace
- August: Marc Dalio, Podophyllum peltatum in the Native Flora Garden
- September: Tara Schmitt, Herb Garden
- October: Jackie Weisberg, the Japanese Garden
- November: Paul Grebanier, Ginkgo stream bank
- December: Leah Hansen, Bonsai Museum
Related ContentFlickr photo set
LinksBBG's Flickr set of copies of the photos used in the calendar
BBG 2012 Calendar, 66 Square Feet (Marie Viljoen)