2010-03-17

In Observance of Irish Pride (St. Patrick's) Day

Updated 2011-03-17: Added links.

Irish Hunger Memorial

Yesterday, with the first good weather of the year, I visited the Irish Hunger Memorial in downtown Manhattan, two blocks from Ground Zero. I've been there before. It definitely had a wintery, wind-swept feel to it this visit. This year, I want to visit it a couple times during the seasons.

Some of the surrounding buildings are new, even in the past few years, since my first visit. The juxtaposition of modern, even stark, architecture with rustic elements is striking.

Here are my photos from that visit.

Slideshow




[goo.gl]

Related Content

Irish Hunger Memorial, Flickr photo set

Links

Wikipedia: Irish Hunger Memorial

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool garden. I saw one picture of it a while back on Gawker and I didn't 'get it,' but now that I see your slideshow the memorial as a whole makes sense.

Does it feel weird to stand in something that looks so rustic, or old world, with those skyscrapers overhead.

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Thanks! I tried to capture both the micro and macro views to place the memorial in context. The contrast of old and new is striking.

Frank Jump said...

Haunting image! Hard to believe it is right off the West Side Highway madness.

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

FJ: It's a beautiful spot, quite evocative. Being half-Irish, it especially resonates for me.