2015-05-21

Ripley, 2000-2015

Our Ripley died with us around 1:30 this morning.

It's still the middle of the night. We had an 8am appointment with the vet for an ultrasound exam to find out what was going on. Instead, I'll be taking his body in for cremation.

I need to try to get at least a few more hours sleep. I needed to write something first.

We adopted him when he was almost 8 years old.
Ripley


He had a good seven years with us - almost half his life. He had lots of love.
John & Ripley

He loved to get brushed. He had a porch to watch the birds, and more love.
Ripley and John, in mutual bliss

So much love.
John & Ripley mutually kissing each other

We adopted his baby sister, Annie, to help keep him company, because two grown men weren't enough for him.
Greco-Roman Cat Wrestling

He's been in decline for a few months. This is the last photograph I took of him. Three weeks ago, when the weather had warmed up, I took him outside into the front yard. He wanted to wander around and I had to keep herding him back. It was the most active he'd been in weeks. Eventually, he let me brush him - which used to be his favorite activity - and he settled down into the grass.
Ripley in the Grass.

I don't want to dwell on the details of his passing. I might have more I want to say later. I'm just grateful we were both with him. With us there to give him what comfort we could, he passed quietly at the end.

Related Content

Meet Mr. Ripley, 2008-04-14

5 comments:

brandon said...

Sorry for your loss, and happy for your love. May Ripley rest in peace.

Kylee Baumle said...

I'm so sorry, Chris. What a handsome boy Ripley was.

DC Tropics said...

What a beautiful kitty, I'm so sorry. I know how hard this is--my husband and I adopted 2 older cats. Even though they were with us just a few short years, we came to love them as our own and it was so hard to say good-bye. It's good that you were there for him, when he needed a home and when he needed comfort.

Unknown said...

My prayers go out to you both. What magnificent photos.

My mantra has been "it's the last kind thing you do for your friend (pet)." Ripley was a divine original and you will see him again. From one who's been there.

Unknown said...

My prayers go out to you both. My mantra has been "it's the last kind thing you do for your friend (pet)." Ripley was a divine original and you will see him again. From one who's been there