2009-05-25

Tracking to 100,000 and counting

Sometime this week, one of the counters I use to keep track of visitors to this blog will reach 100,000. I began tracking visits in August 2006, just three months after I launched this blog in May 2006.

Each tracking service counts things differently, and the counters I have disagree on how many visitors I've had. While the lead counter says I've had 99,859 visitors at this writing, another reports only 90,318, a discrepancy of 10%.

For this and other reasons, I don't use these counters for exact tracking, but for trends and general patterns. For those purposes, they're accurate enough; using trackers from different sources balances the systematic counting errors any single algorithm would incur.

So, regardless of whether it's 90,000, or 100,000, or some other number, I am grateful for all the visitors I've had over the years. My goal has never been to manage my "hit count." If it hasn't been obvious, this is a personal blog. I strive to avoid (or at least minimize) self-indulgence, and make my posts timely, relevant, and informative. But it will always be with my own voice. I own my words. I recognize that's not to everyone's taste. For those of you who do visit here, welcome, and thanks.

[bit.ly]

Related Content

The Brownstoner Effect, 2007-11-10
Rabies More Popular Than Sex, 2007-03-02

5 comments:

Ekey84 said...

Congratulations. I know I started following pretty closely only recently.

Tricia said...

Many congrats--I'm wowed! We first "met" through your flickr photos of Coney Island's pocket garden and then I realized you had a blog

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

TWW: Thanks! Welcome aboard.

Tricia: Thank you. It's interesting; I think some know me from my photography and never visit the blog. Different circles, different networks.

chuck b. said...

Is it me?! :) Who was it?

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Chuck: I have no way of knowing. I don't have anything that tracks to that level of detail.