2008-08-12

The Greene Garden, Fort Greene, Green With Envy Tour, II.9

Green With Envy Tour at the Greene Garden in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.
Green With Envy Tour

The Greene Garden is a shady green space across the street from Fort Greene Park. When I saw this, I imagined the wonderful shade gardens that could be created here.

Green at Greene

There are no growing areas, just common areas for socializing, and relaxing, interconnected by wandering paths.

Green With Envy Tour

The gazebo is really nice. In my long-term vision for integrating the rear of my house with the backyard garden, I imagine something like this at the corner of a back porch, providing an entrance from the driveway and garage at the rear of the property onto the porch and access to the rear of the house.
Green With Envy Tour
Green With Envy Tour

This garden is a work in progress.
Flagstones

No glam in this garden, yet. It has the potential to become a showcase shade garden. Meanwhile, there some artificial color is scattered about.

Sign

Pink Flamingo

Snow Bear

I (HEART) MY COMMUNITY

Related Content

Flickr photo set

Green With Envy Tour II
Pacific Street Bear's Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, II.1
St. Mark's Avenue Community Garden, Prospect Heights, Green With Envy Tour, II.2
Prospect Heights Community Farm, Prospect Heights, Green With Envy Tour, II.3
Hollenback Community Garden, Clinton Hill, Green With Envy Tour, II.5
Classon FulGate Block Association Garden, Green With Envy Tour, II.6
Clifton Place Block Association Community Garden, Green With Envy Tour, II.7

Brooklyn Bear's Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.1
Hoyt Street Garden, Boerum Hill, Green With Envy Tour, I.2
Wyckoff-Bond Community Garden, Boerum Hill, Green With Envy Tour, I.3
David Foulke Memorial Garden, Boerum Hill, Green With Envy Tour, I.4
Warren-St Marks Community Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy, I.5
Baltic Street Community Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.6
Lincoln-Berkeley Community Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.7
Gardens of Union, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.8
Green With Envy, Tour One, Final Stops 9 and 10

2 comments:

BrooklynGirl said...

I would also love to see more public gardens pop up in Flatbush, if executed well. Not to be Debbie Downer, but until April of this year I lived next door to the Greene Garden for several years. Most of the local residents rarely used it, except for a few older gentlemen who like to use the gazebo for beer drinking and boombox playing sessions. Unfortunately that creates not the most welcoming green space. And those figurines don't look so cute in winter when there's no vegetation - looks more like a junkyard. Let's get one in Flatbush that is lovely and welcoming to everyone!

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

And I don't want to gloss over the challenges faced by the different gardens and green spaces. This green space is "in progress". Some of the rules posted on signs in the garden state "No alcohol, No drugs." That's some indication of what they're coming out of, and hopefully can overcome.