2008-08-05

Pacific Street Bear's Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, II.1

Green With Envy Tour Two at the Pacific Street Brooklyn Bear's Garden
Green With Envy, Pacific Street Bear's Garden

Saturday, July 26, Tour Two of the Green With Envy tour of Brooklyn Community Garden's kicked off where it started two weeks earlier: at the Brooklyn Bear's Garden at Pacific Street.

We're building raised beds at the Flatbush Community Garden, so I was paying more attention to details of their construction at different gardens on this tour.
Raised Beds, Pacific Street Bear's Garden

Amazing how quickly things change. Two weeks before, I didn't notice this cabbage. The fingerprints show how irresistible it must be to touch.
Cabbage

I didn't get any good shots of this "Office Al Fresco" on the first tour. Very organized.
Al Fresco

The inside of the door shows photos of all the gardeners.
Garden People

I love these exuberant Trumpet Vines (Campsis radicans) growing in several of the gardens. It's one of my favorite native vines, but there are few places where it can be grown effectively under cultivation, especially in compressed urban settings. It gets to be a huge in both height and mass, requiring a large, sturdy, long-lived structure to support it. Also, it's a bit of a thug and throws up runners everywhere, so weeding and cultivation of the ground around it must be considered before placing it. I also see this growing over backyard fences into the B/Q subway cut, which is as good a placement as any!
Campsis radicans

Oak-Leaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia), one of my favorite native shrubs. Again, the species is too large for most urban gardens. Several "dwarf" cultivars are available.
Oak-Leaf Hydrangea

The Zinnias continue their psychedelic bloom.
Bee on Zinnia

Related Content

All my photos of this garden (Flickr)

Green With Envy Tour of Brooklyn Community Gardens, July 12 and 26
Brooklyn Bear's Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.1
Hoyt Street Garden, Boerum Hill, Green With Envy Tour, I.2
Wyckoff-Bond Community Garden, Boerum Hill, Green With Envy Tour, I.3
David Foulke Memorial Garden, Boerum Hill, Green With Envy Tour, I.4
Warren-St Marks Community Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy, I.5
Baltic Street Community Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.6
Lincoln-Berkeley Community Garden, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.7
Gardens of Union, Park Slope, Green With Envy Tour, I.8
Green With Envy, Tour One, Final Stops 9 and 10

Links


No comments: