Update 2009.03.20: A memorial is planned for April 4.
Update 2009.03.14: Finally wrote my memorial post.
Update 2009.03.11: The official, authorized, and epic obituary for Bob, written lovingly by his family and friends, was published online today. Please read In Memoriam, Robert Guskind on Gowanus Lounge.
- It's been all I can do just to keep up with the flood of online remembrances and other reports in response to Bob's death. As of mid-day, there are over 60. Reading everyone's posts brings back my own memories of Bob, which I hope to post over the weekend.
- Changed the link for the Brooklyn Paper.
I just learned, from Windsor Terrace Alliance and Brownstoner, that Robert "Bob" Guskind, founder of Gowanus Lounge, was found dead in his home yesterday, March 4, 2009.
He was a colleague, and a friend. I'm stunned, and can't write anything else right now. See Links below for others' coverage of this terrible loss.
Robert Guskind, speaking at the second Brooklyn Blogfest in May 2007.
Robert Guskind speaking at the first Brooklyn Blogade, at Vox Pop in Flatbush, in June 2007.
Related contentMy Flickr photos of Bob
His work and wordsHis last video, 2009-03-01
Bob's videos on YouTube
Bob's Flickr photos
A Walk Around the Blog episode featuring Bob talking about development in Carroll Gardens
Bob on the Brian Lehrer show, WNYC, 2007-09-20
Reporter Roundtable and Brooklyn Review archival footage from Brooklyn Independent Television
Bob wrote 29 stories for Underground Voices Magazine
News reportsBrooklyn Paper, 2009-03-05 (The text of this article has been edited from its original content.)
Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 2009-03-05
New York Magazine (Warning: Intrusive advertising)
New York Post
Personal remembrancesOne post per site. I've done my best to keep this list up-to-date. If I've overlooked your post, please let me know.
Bob and Miss Heather were good friends.
New York Sh*tty
In alphabetical order
- 1 Stop Over in Brooklyn
- 66 Square Feet
- The Albany Project
- Art in Brooklyn
- Atlantic Yards Report
- Bad Advice
- Bay Ridge Journal
- Bed-Stuy Banana
- Bed-Stuy Blog
- Best View in Brooklyn
- The Bowery Boys: New York City History
- BRIC Community Media
- Brooklyn 11211
- Brooklyn Born
- Brooklyn Heights Blog
- Brooklyn Junction
- Brooklyn Optimist
- Brooklyn Paper
- Brooklyn Ron
- Brooklyn Streets, Carroll Gardens
- California Greening
- Carroll Gardens petition (scroll down past the petition itself)
- Clinton Hill Blog
- Cobble Hill Blog
- Crazy Stable
- Curbed (Bob worked at Curbed until this past January)
- Dalton Rooney (last paragraph)
- Deep in the Heart of Brooklyn
- Destination Red Hook
- Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn
- Dope on the Slope
- Dumbo NYC
- Eat It (opening paragraph to a restaurant review)
- Englishman in New York
- Flatbush Gardener
- Flatbush Vegan
- Free Williamsburg
- Fort Greene-Clinton Hill, The Local, New York Times
- Glamorous Life of the Theatre
- Green Brooklyn
- Gorilla Face
- Huffington Post
- I Love Franklin Ave.
- I'm not saying, I'm just sayin
- Keep Left NYC
- Kinetic Carnival
- Liberty on 10th Street
- Living the American Green
- Lost City
- Lost in the Ozone
- Make No Assumptions ...
- Nathan Kensinger Photography
- Neighborhood Threat
- Neighbors Allied for Good Growth (NAG)
- No Land Grab
- Not Another F*cking Blog
- The "Not-So-Rough" Guide
- Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn
- Pardon Me For Asking
- Pistols and Popcorn
- Pretty in the City
- Queens Cr*p
- Reclaimed Home
- Self-Absorbed Boomer
- Space at my moving pace
- Street Level
- Triada Samaras Art
- Vanishing New York
- Washington Square Park