2007-04-01

Forsythia Day today at Brooklyn Botanic Garden

I'll be leaving for BBG shortly. We've got rain coming today, so I want to get there as early as possible. They open at 10am on weekends.

There are a couple of things I want to see and do for today's visit.

Today, all members receive a free Forsythia × intermedia 'Goldilocks'. I generally loathe Forsythia; they have no garden value other than their one week of bloom. But I don't even have a single one on my property, and I can afford one in the developing mixed border on the south side of the house. I can always dig it up and give it away.

The other Forsythia Day events are an awards ceremony and a reception in the afternoon. I don't think I'll stick around for any of that, even if it's not raining by then. Awards are interesting for the recipients and the organizers, otherwise boring as hell to everyone else.

I'm also going to pick up my signature plants. I got my confirmation letter in the mail last week. Today I'll pick up Cotinus coggygria "Golden Spirit" and Heptacodium miconioides. Both would be suitable for the mixed border.

Today I really want to see the Rock Garden. Spring should be the peak season for this, and BBG's Plants in Bloom page confirms that there will be lots of bulb and Hellebore action there. I also ahve never managed to catch Daffodil Hill in peak bloom. Today should be perfect.

If time permits, I also want to check out the Native Flora Garden, just to see what's going on there.

Of course, there will be a large photo post from my visit. So check back later!

No comments: