2009-05-22

Bees, a Mockingbird, and Marriage Equality

2022-05-29: This is now the FOURTH time WNYC has broken the link. Fixed again. (What the *^!% is wrong with them?!)
2022-04-13: Updated - yet again - the link to the recording which WNYC broke for the third time.
2012-05-21: Updated - again - the links which WNYC broke - again.
2011-08-23: Updated to current links from the old ones which WNYC voided.

Domestic Bliss: Blog Widow (left) and me in the gardener's nook on the occasion of the interview. I had just transplanted the female Ilex verticillata in the background that morning.
Flatbush Gardener (right) and Blog Widow
Two weekends ago, Blog Widow and I were interviewed by WNYC's Kathleen Horan on the topic of marriage equality - marriage for all - in New York state. The piece aired this morning, and is available on the WNYC News Blog. We make our appearance about 4:55 into the segment.

Marriage Equality, Kathleen Horan, 2009-05-22

I didn't get to listen to it when it aired at 7:50am this morning. I thought it might be off-topic for the blog. But since most of my part of the aired conversation is about the garden, I figure it it's not much of a stretch. Please give it a listen, and let me know what you think in the comments below.

Related Content

Wildflowers in a Flatbush Backyard, 2009-05-11
Cellophane Bees Return, 2009-05-09

Links

Debating "Marriage Equality" , Kathleen Horan, WNYC

5 comments:

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

It was a good segment, although I'd have preferred a little more "umph" in the final product. It seemed a little disjointed, but honest. Can you have unified honesty? Probably not.

I thought the only real problem with it was too much dinner conversation, not enough garden conversation. ;)

Frank said...

It was good. The opposite of a protest march. Personal, no slogans.

They could've edited the cellophane bees part better. It sounded as if you were trailing off and they "moved on" to something else. But reallu, I had to try to think of that.

bonnie said...

Very nice! I'd heard the first few minutes as I was running out to work one morning, I was sorry to have to turn it off. I'm happy to have heard the rest of it. Love the part about "Well, that's not right." Hope for the future & all. We are already seeing legal gay marriage taking hold & it's good to see that kind of fairness on the rise in our country (too bad about California though).

But it would be even better if it will get to the point where it's not just legal, but stops being an issue, period.

If there are enough kids out there who are just baffled by the concept that there's a whole set of couples out there who love each other, but aren't allowed to marry, seems like maybe someday that could happen.

There'll always be people who are against it, of course. But maybe we'll see a day when those people are regarded in the same light as people who resent couples with different skin tones are now.

Brenda from Flatbush said...

I thought the piece was well-balanced overall...the witness of the committed gay couples among our friends and family has been the most powerful force in forming my thinking on this issue. In that sense, marriage is indeed a sacrament--an outward sign of grace, a testimony to the power of His love on our lives and through them, to the lives of others. [surfer voice] Rock on, dudes.

Pam J. said...

I'm just writing to say that I love your portrait. Domestic Bliss indeed! I raise a clenched fist to say "legalize marriage for everyone NOW." EVERYone.